The Daring Way Certification Process
1. CONFIRM ELIGIBILITY AND APPLY
Please review our eligibility requirements* carefully.
Certification is currently offered to the following professionals:
- Licensed Social Workers
- Licensed Psychologists
- Licensed Professional Counselors
- Licensed Nurses (RN or APRN)
- Licensed Psychiatrists
- Licensed Criminal Justice Professionals
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Licensed School Counselors
- Credentialed Professional Art Therapists
- Clergy (Must have ethical oversight)
- Pastoral Counselors (Must have ethical oversight)
- Professional Life Coaches certified through one of the following professional organizations:
- International Coaching Federation (ICF) – PCC and MCC certified who are active members.
- Association for Coaching (Full Members – MAC only)
- Board Certified Coach (BCC) through the Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE)
Within these professions you must be:
- Governed by a professional body with a disciplinary board and code of ethics.
- In good standing with your professional organization.
- Carrying professional liability insurance, indemnity insurance, or errors & omissions (E&O) insurance.
- Facilitating psychoeducational work must fall under the scope of what you are trained/licensed/certified to do by your profession’s governing body.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Daring Way™ is a curriculum that should be used in conjunction with existing skills and integrated into Candidates’ and Facilitators’ existing practices. Certified Daring Way™ Facilitators and Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator – Candidates are only permitted to practice within their existing scope of practice as dictated by their licensure, training, or certification. Certification does not provide you with the skills to start a new line of work. For example:
- If a person is not trained in group processing work, then they should not be facilitating these types of groups.
- If a person is not trained in trauma, deep processing, or family of origin work, then they should not be facilitating groups or working with clients where these skills are necessary. If these issues emerge, clients should be referred to someone who could better meet the clients’ needs.
The Daring Way Certification Training is for helping professionals who work with individuals, couples, and groups around mental and behavioral health issues, counseling, addiction, life transitions, wellness, and/or spirituality.
Please review our Candidate and Facilitator Standards Policy.
Note: Students or trainees in these fields cannot begin the process of certification until all eligibility requirements are met.
Once you have confirmed your eligibility, you will need to complete an application. The application process consists of:
- Providing personal and professional information (including professional website or LinkedIn profile).
- Uploading an electronic copy of your current professional license/certificate (must show expiration date) and professional liability/indemnity/E&O insurance (must show expiration date). NOTE: if official documents are not available in English, please provide a copy of the original and an English translation.
- Paying the non-refundable application fee of $75.00 USD. (Applications opening soon!)
PLEASE NOTE: All application fees are nonrefundable. Applications are valid for ONLY two years.
Please allow up to 3 weeks for The Daring Way to review your application. If you are submitting an international application, the review process can take up to 5 weeks. Once your application has been fully reviewed, you will be notified by email:
1. If your application has been accepted and will receive information on how to register for an open training.
2. If additional information is needed to complete the review of your application.
3. Why your application was not accepted at this time.
*Subject to change.
2. REGISTER FOR AN OPEN TRAINING
Once you have been notified by email that your application was accepted, you will now register for an open training.
Details on how to register will be provided in this email.
REGISTRATION COST: $3,500.00 USD
The cost of registration covers:
- In-person training
- Online training
- Continuing Education Credits through Approved Boards
- Daring GreatlyTM Workbook
- Daring GreatlyTM Curriculum
- Daring GreatlyTM Curriculum Video Downloads
- Rising StrongTM Workbook
- Rising StrongTM Curriculum
- Rising StrongTM Curriculum Video Downloads
- Marketing Assets with Facilitator Seal
NOTE: THE COST OF CERTIFICATION TRAINING REGISTRATION ($3,500.00 USD) DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COST OF CASE CONSULTATION (STEP #4 BELOW). CASE CONSULTATION IS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE CERTIFICATION PROCESS. FEES FOR CASE CONSULTATION ARE ARRANGED DIRECTLY BETWEEN CANDIDATES AND CASE CONSULTANTS, BUT THE AVERAGE COST TO COMPLETE THE REQUIRED 7 SESSIONS OF CONSULTATION IS $1,500.00 USD.
3. CERTIFICATION TRAINING
Once you have successfully registered for a training, you will need to complete the following:
1. Online Pre-Work (including books, videos, and assessments)
Pre-work is required and must be successfully completed before attending a Certification Training.
Access to The Daring Way Certification Training pre-work will be available once you have registered for an open training.
Please note, part of the pre-work for this training will be to read four of Brené’s books (Rising Strong, Daring Greatly, The Gifts of Imperfection, and I Thought It Was Just Me). We consider mastery of these books foundational to doing the work.
2. Attend a 3-day In-Person Training
While attending the 3-day in-person portion of our Certification Training, you will work in small groups with a facilitator to walk through our psychoeducational curricula in an experiential learning process.
Lunch will be provided by The Daring Way each day. Schedules will be provided in advance of the training.
When thinking of travel, please note that for most trainings, we will begin at 9:00 AM on the first day and we will finish by 12:00 PM on the last day.
3. Complete the 4-Week Online Training
Once you have completed the in-person portion of the Certification Training, you will complete the remaining sessions through an online classroom in Daring University.
Your online classroom will be made up of support from your in-person facilitator and the members from your small group from the in-person portion of the training.
Successful completion of your Daring University learning means that all required work has been completed. Your facilitator will be monitoring for questions and guiding discussion with your small group. At the end of the online training, your facilitator will submit the required paperwork to let The Daring Way Team know of your successful completion.
4. CASE CONSULTATION
Case Consultation for Candidates in The Daring Way™ Certification Process is a unique opportunity to be guided through the clinical delivery of The Daring Way™ curricula. Case Consultation is a place to ask questions and receive support around implementation from a Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator – Case Consultant either in individual sessions or as a group.
Individual Case Consultation – 7 fifty-minute sessions*
Group Case Consultation – 5 ninety-minute sessions*
*These are the minimum requirements for Case Consultation. If your consultant has any concerns about your readiness in becoming a Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator, s/he may require additional Case Consultation sessions.
Case Consultation can be completed in-person, by Skype, by Zoom, or over the telephone. All fees are agreed upon directly between the Case Consultant and the Candidate. The typical cost for case consultation is $1,500 USD. Fees for group consultation will be determined by the case consultant.
Case Consultation cannot be completed before 6 months from the time of your signed Case Consultation agreement and must be completed within 12 months of your in-person training date.
Once you have chosen a Case Consultant and have a signed Case Consultation agreement on file with The Daring Way™ office, you will become a Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator – Candidate (CDWF-Candidate), will have access to the Daring Greatly™ and Rising Strong™ Curricula to integrate into your practice, and will be able to market your work using the provided branded assets.
YOU MAY NOT BEGIN USING THE WORK IN YOUR PRACTICE UNTIL YOUR CASE CONSULTATION AGREEMENT IS ON FILE WITH THE DARING WAY.
5. BECOME A CERTIFIED DARING WAY™ FACILITATOR
Last Step! Once you have successfully completed the in-person training, online training, and Case Consultation, you will need to submit an Application for Certification. This will complete the certification process.
Once your Application for Certification has been fully reviewed, you will be notified by email:
1. If your application has been accepted and you are a Certified Daring Way Facilitator™ (CDWF)
2. If additional information is needed to complete the review of your Application for Certification.
Once you have received notice that your Application for Certification has been accepted, you will receive your Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator certificate in the mail. Congratulations!
Maintaining certification requires continued compliance with our Candidate and Facilitator Standards Policy and a Biennial Renewal. The Biennial Renewal includes earning 6 Daring Credits and a $250 renewal fee every two years. Please review the Membership Renewal Policy for more information on how to earn Daring Credits.
The Daring Way, as an affiliate of Brené Brown Education and Research Group, is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Daring Education maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Approved through: September 31st, 2019
The Daring Way is approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6639. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Daring Way is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Approved through: November 1st, 2019
To stay connected with The Daring Way and to be notified about future trainings please sign up for our mailing list below.